Saturday, 22 February 2014

Assignment 1 Wrap Up

2 weeks or so have passed since the last SLOG since I went on vacation with my family and sadly had no access to a computer to do this but anyways here's my SLOG about what has happened so far.

Assignment 1 was due recently and man was it tough. The first few parts were pretty easy as it was just creating methods for the TOAH GUI to play properly but when it got to the recursion part, I was stuck for a long time. I wasn't exactly sure how to approach it but after a bit of digging around and getting a bit of help from the TA's, I learned that the best way to deal with the 4 stool recursion was to use both the formula given to us during the lecture for solving for i in recursion and using that with what we already knew about how the 3 stool recursion worked. Overall the assignment was fairly challenging but now I also see how powerful recursion is.

Now moving to what we learned in this week, we finally began looking at tree structures. We learned a few terms that correspond to what a tree is such as a node but what a tree is more or less is a set of nodes that only have one "parent" node or a node that it branches from. Each path down a tree is unique and no nodes will have children that are connected to nodes further up in the tree or in other paths. We also looked at a few methods that go with trees such as finding the height of tree or longest path length and how many nodes there are in a tree. Tree structures are a great way to see where something came from, such as a program having a "parent" program where its functions are derived from and this helps with tracking down what is happening in a program as well if you trace the path down each node to see what function they are adding on.

Well, that's another week of CSC148, only 2 more midterms to go... and one of them being CSC148. Hopefully I'm prepared for it and do well. There's gonna be a lot of gaming after those 2 are done...

No comments:

Post a Comment